2D5D

Two dimensional representations of five dimensional objects

Friday, July 21, 2006

things to write about

When I have the energy

1. I took a spinning class and *bought a spinning wheel*! Yes I did. This was silly, of course, because we're moving soon, so it's staying in the box for a little while longer.

2. Knitting this lace leaf scarf from loop-d-loop for a gift. It is for an administrator at work who has pretty much saved my life lately - helping with neverending paperwork while I was in NM. I'm using a yarn I got on ebay that is spun in Nepal of 60% wine-colored wool and 40% multicolored recycled sari silk. I like it, and I hope it'll make a good gift even though it is one of the most weather inappropriate choices possible. It will need some serious blocking to avoid looking like a double-ended penis, though. Pictures later.

3. I didn't bring any yarn stuff on the apartment hunt trip to NY/NJ, and then I had withdrawl and ended up getting the Twisted Sister's Sock book (which is GREAT) and some cheap yarn stuff from Michaels. I got a set of #3 double point needles and some Patons Grace cotton in colors that I like, but a set of this brand of needles is 4, not 5, and metal (I really like the bamboo better). And so I was trying to make a sock in the car on the way back, and this didn't work at all. First, the metal needles kept slipping out of the stitches and onto the floor and once under the carseat. Second, all the bumps and turns made me wonder if a metal sharp needle would fly into my eye. Third, it was coming out too loose, and I really needed #2s or #1s, but I didn't have any, so I gave up and pulled it out. So now I may try to use the yarn to make those knucks from this summer's Knitty since I like the colors, but the 100% cotton isn't so great for socks anyway (it's just what they had).

4. I do, indeed, know how to put up buttons and join webrings and change the template and comment and stuff! My problem is not technical ineptitude but rather some sort of laziness mixed with general malaise. So I hope to do those things sometime.

5. too many various projects I'd like to make, or am in the middle of making, to list. Why can't I just finish stuff that I start. sigh.

Sufficient for now!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Severina said…

    Uh oh, a spinning wheel. Now there's no turning back! I've sat at mine spinning for something like 6-8 hours straight before I've remembered that I hadn't eaten anything yet.

    I'm hooked on Musk Ox and silk. There must be seven different kinds of silk lurking around here.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    That's funny, a few weeks I actually ordered a clump of musk ox fur from the University of Alaska large animal research center. It hasn't arrived yet, though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home